Sunday 25 April 2010

Breastfeeding my kidzes!

Sighz. Once again, I am behind in my blog posts. February pictures in April - 2 months behind. Gosh. I'd better hurry up, if not I'd lag behind again... ;p
Yes yes me obsessed with breastfeeding and all this taking pictures of me tandem feeding the kidzes. How often do you get to see this, right?! kekeke... Well, this is one of the FAQ: "Do you feed both at the same time?" My answer is "Yes it can be done. But usually, I feed one at a time."

Why? Coz the kids do not necessarily get hungry at the same time. Same answer for another FAQ: "Do the babies cry at the same time?" Well the customised answer to that is "No, they don't usually cry at the same time, unless they're both hungry at the same time."

If they are, I am able to feed them both at the same time. I'd need help from someone to hand me the second baby, though. But yes, it is technically possible to breastfeed both at the same time. After all, I do have two breasts ;p (don't ask me 'What if triplets how?' coz I don't have triplets ;p)
I must admit I'm kinda 'addicted' to breastfeeding the kidzes. I enjoy latching them onto me directly. I enjoy it immensely, despite all the pain and inconvenience it brings me.

Ben & Lena asked before "What is it that you enjoy about breastfeeding?" I think this is the first time anyone has asked me this question, since I started my eventful and fantastic breastfeeding journey with Isaac almost 3 years ago, back in August 2007.
pictures taken on 17th February 2010
Asher & Shawna @ 6 weeks old

I had to pause and think for awhile, before I could reply them. Even so, I had to think of how I could phrase into words, what I felt in my heart... Now, let me attempt to say this right...

I love holding the kids in my arms, letting them drink directly from me. I love the fact that I am the only one who is able to do this for them. I love the feeling of being able to satisfy their needs for nourishment and intimacy.

I love looking at the baby when I am feeding him/her. Examining every square inch of their face, seeing if the face is symmetrical, looking out for anything and everything from moles and wrinkles to pores and facial hair - everything is interesting. Looking at their ears, behind them, inside them ;p the shape of the ears, the angle it sticks out from their heads...

Look at how much or how little hair my baby has... the hairstyle... thinking of how I should cut their hair, and when... Smelling their hands, looking at their hands, the lines on their palms, the shape of their nails, how long the nails are... and oh! I cut their nails while they drink milk from me. It's the only time they'd keep still :)

One might say that you don't have to breastfeed to look at your baby. Which is true. But do you? Do you spend time really looking at your baby? Often, when I am not feeding them, I'd be busy doing something else. Chores, cooking, cleaning, (Isaac's time) on the internet, checking mails, reading books etc (twins' time) - you won't really spend the time actually looking at your baby. Maybe for awhile, but not for long.

When you breastfeed, you have all that time, with nothing much to do... so you look at them. Slowly savour the smell of them, the feel of their soft skin... the delicate (almost said delicacy) beings that they are...

You let the idea sink in, that you're a mother now, and this is your child. Your very own flesh & blood. That they're causing you a lot of work and inconvenience - but it's all worth it... I think, in other words, you get to spend a lot of time with your child. Doing something that only you can provide for. That's something I cherish very much.

That is also why I enjoy latching, rather than just pump and let someone else bottle feed. If I am at home, I always insist on latching them on. Only when I am not at home, do I let someone else bottle feed. For somehow, if I let someone else feed them while I am around, it feels like I've been robbed of time with my baby.

I can go on and on and on, but I think you know what I mean.

More on breastfeeding another time... Isaac just popped his head in the door way and said:"Mummy, can you close the computer? Let me go swimming first." :)

1 comment:

  1. I tandem feed EY and KX when KX was just born too! Many thinks that i'm crazy... haha... you are just blessed! I envy that you have twins! :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message or a comment if you have enjoyed reading this post! We love getting comments! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this utility