Thursday 31 January 2013

Thursday Trivia - Taxes!

Last year, 2012, was the 10 year anniversary of the year that I graduated from university. Wow. That would mean that this year marks the 15 years of friendship for friends that I met in my first year in university. Cool! :) In case you're interested, I'm from the School of Real Estate from the National University of Singapore. 

So, there was this one time, during our Valuation lecture, when our Valuation Lecturer Dr Cheng Fook Jam, sprung a, whachamacallit - a quiz? Not really. Just a question. He said:"I've always wondered why it's the Stamp Duties Act, with a plural "duties" but the Estate Duty Act with a singular "Duty". The person who can give me a good reason to this, I will buy him or her lunch."

And so, me and my wise cracks, right? I piped up:"That's coz you can buy properties many times and pay the Stamp Duty many times. But you only die once - so you pay Estate Duty only one time." 

I got me a free lunch :) 

Oh and in case you were wondering, Dr Cheng asked another lecturer along, and we had lunch at Ikea's cafe ;p

Tan Family Chronicles

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious! You must have aced your exams and topped the class. =)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message or a comment if you have enjoyed reading this post! We love getting comments! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this utility