Tuesday 31 August 2010

Isaac is English?! (studio pix 8)

Sometime last week or the week before that, Isaac came home from school and told me that he had a new friend - as in, a new classmate. A boy named Hamzah. Instinctively, my brain started to process the information, and wanted to classify the new information I received and the question was out of my mouth before I really thought about it...

Me: Hamzah? That's a unique name. Is Hamzah Chinese or Malay? (I thought it made a cool 'christian' name - you never know, these days.)
Isaac looked at me in a HUH? look - he didn't understand my question. Quickly, I realised that he had no concept of race or nationality - which is natural - that's something you learn... So I tried to explain myself by giving examples...

Me: Oh, is Hamzah Malay like Marcel? Or Chinese like Kevin?
Isaac paused. Thinking over my question... then... without answering my question...

Isaac: Mummy, I am English!!!Hahahhaa... it was hilarious. I laughed so hard my tears came. Isaac my English boy!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a message or a comment if you have enjoyed reading this post! We love getting comments! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this utility