Thursday 2 August 2007

The First Trimester

The 1st trimester was, all things considered, pretty okay for me. Primarily because I did not have the morning sickness usually associated with the first three months of pregnancy. Well I started to find out the downside of that soon enough, when I started to pile on the kgs like nobody's business. Well... of course, that's also coz I started to eat more... coz previously I used to eat very little you see... so when we got pregnant, we started to worry that I wasn't "eating enough"... so I started to eat for 2... which is totally what I was soooo not supposed to do... hiaz... so ANYWAYZ... guess who became a fatty bom bom in just 3 months... had put on like 2+kg per month... gynae was always lecturing me whenever we went for visits "Not so fast!" she said. Winner was during the CNY month when I put on 3kg! urrgghhh... :( hiaz...

the other thing about 1st trimester was that we were not supposed to tell anyone that we were pregnant! it's like so anti-climatic coz we're so excited about it, but we can't tell anyone but the immediate family! it didn't help that I was getting fatter and fatter and still can't give a 'proper' reason for it... *groan*...

I used to think this "don't tell people before first 3 months is over" was a superstitious thingy... but it was only when I got pregnant, then I realised that there is a scientific and practical reason for this... Coz, apparently, the first three months of the pregnancy is the most fragile period of time during the whole term of the pregnancy... miscarriages happen very frequently, and sometimes, it's even a "non-pregnancy" - ie. there wasn't any foetus formed to begin with... Hence, it's actually better not to let too many people know about "the pregnancy" until it is "confirmed" - ie. stablised. Why? So that if it is a non-event, or if it is a miscarriage, you don't need to go around telling everyone about it. Save you the heartache you know. It's already bad enough that it's not happening, but you'd have to relive it everytime you tell someone about it. So, can you imagine if you told all and sundry that you were pregnant the day you saw it on the little indicator, and then 5 weeks later you'd have to tell them all again that it's gone? That'd be horrible!

Anyway, that was one of the first things I found out about pregnancy myths that actually had some scientifc truth behind it... hehehe... will talk more on that later on...

;) pst

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a message or a comment if you have enjoyed reading this post! We love getting comments! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this utility