Wednesday 15 May 2013

SAS White Elephant Sale 2013

About a month or so ago, fellow mom blogger Evelyn Tan-Rogers of The BottomsUp Blog told us of the (then) upcoming annual Singapore American School White Elephant Sale - which was to take place on the 11th of May this year. She even shared with us her loot from last year's sale. Oooh! I love a good yard sale and thrift store! I was determined to go. I even thought of what I'd say to hubbs if he was reluctant to go: "Make it my birthday treat?" - but thankfully he was quite game for it and I didn't have to use my lame line on him. 

Held at the SAS Junior School foyer, it was a hive of activity and I could see people carting off their loot, even though I arrived relatively early (I thought!) at 9 plus. Thankfully, there were three playgrounds surrounding the foyer area so hubbs kept the kids busy with those while I shopped to my hearts content. And shop, I did! Scored many good buys. Shall list them, and perhaps you can spot them in the pictures! :)
Our loot from the 2013 SAS White Elephant Sale!

  • $20 - 20" wheel bicycle of a decent brand. We've been wanting to get Isaac a bigger bicycle and this was perfect! :) Took it out for a spin to check that the gears were in good working condition before confirming :) great buy!
  • $5 for a Star Wars tshirt for Isaac
  • $3 Goodnight Moon board game based on the book of the same name. Heard of this children's board game and wanted to try it.
  • $3 Dinosaur Floor Puzzle by Melissa & Doug
  • $2 Cluedo board game that still looked pretty new
  • $10 Batman costume complete with cloth half mask and cape
  • $10 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Audio Book CD set - been searching for the audio books for ages! And they are usually much more expensive than $10 per book, so this was a great find!
  • $10 for 2 Winnie the Pooh DVDs, 1 Tigger DVD, and a Roald Dahl's BFG DVD - Shawna likes Winnie the Pooh so this was mostly for her. But Big Friendly Giant dvd?! Wooohooo!!!
  • $5 for a Christian Dior white shirt (for Asher) that hubbs got conned into buying (by some very charming young ang moh ladies trying to raise funds with their sales for charity)
  • $5 for the pair of Mad Rock children sized rock climbing shoes! I grabbed this as soon as I saw it. It was still very new. Hubbs says a pair like this probably costs $70 or more. Fantastic buy, this!
  • $1 green hammock that hubbs bought. I saw this earlier but it was marked $5 so I didn't buy it. Guess when hubbs went for a look around, they'd marked down stuff already.
  • $1 for 2 Angry Birds melamine cups
  • $2 for a very new "The Boys' Book: How to be Best at Everything"
  • $6 for two thick Batman comic books and 25 comics!!!
  • $7 for a Melissa & Doug magnetic responsibility chart, complete with the magnets - bargained down from $10!
  • $4 for a Cake Pops tray (bought for my sister!)
  • $4 for a whole bag of white craft glue
  • $1 for a newish red address book
Total damage: $99 !!!We'd definitely be going again next year! :)

Pictured below are the comics that I bought that cost me a grand total of $6! Mighty pleased with this buy! The two Batman books right at the bottom are hard cover 1cm thick good quality comic book. I couldn't believe they were hawking it for $2 each! I know the shops would sell something like this for a minimum of $20, most likely more!  

The other comics were still in their clear plastic bag, going at 5 for $1. Asher asked to get 2, so I told him and Shawna to pick 5 in total. Isaac came back from the loo, and I told him to pick another 5. We paid up. And then, 15 minutes later, while waiting by our loot coz hubbs brought the twins to the toilet to change diapers - the stall holder's Mother (I think) came back, and lowered the price to 10 for $1 !!! I couldn't help but go:"I just paid $2 for ten of those!" And she said:"Oh go ahead and pick 5 more!" I was stunned, and said meekly:"Oh, really?" And she said :" Yes yes, go ahead. I was too busy shopping myself to man this stall earlier. Go ahead!" And so, I selected another 5 more, without paying anything more. Reaching home, when we took the comics out of the plastic bags, we realised that some packs had 2 comics in it! That's how we ended up with 25 comics for $2 !

I even found Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki comics! Wow! I have never seen that! I first knew of this from the Studio Ghibli movie of the same name. Way cool!!!
And there you see Isaac trying out his new bike! :) We're getting closer to our dream of making cycling trips as a family together! :) Shawna is already proficient on her balance bike, and Asher is very fast on his scooter as well. Looks like we could do a family biking/scooting adventure soon! :p

6 comments:

  1. Wow - the cake pops tray is so cool!

    And the rock climbing shoes must be the best buy. It's super far for me but I'm going to scheme my way into going next year heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I totally agree that the rock climbing shoes is the best buy! An even better find than the bike, I feel! :) Hehehe the cool part about the cake pops tray is... I will benefit from it even though I don't bake, coz my sister is the one baking! hehehe...

      Delete
  2. omg such good deals! bummed I missed this!

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, awesome loot! Maybe I should go with you next year. My husband is currently complaining I didn't tell him about it. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, if you do come across Richie rich comics, do get for me. I really miss them. My mum gave away my collections.
    WM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a loot! I wish I went and hope to go next time!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message or a comment if you have enjoyed reading this post! We love getting comments! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this utility